Thursday 2 October 2008

Reading teaches*

My sister paid me a very nice compliment on Tuesday.

She was talking to her English teacher, who told her, that she spoke a good English. And she answered that she was not that good, that she had a sister (me) who speaks English better than German. Which is not true of course - I think you can never speak a second langauage better than your mother tongue - but I was a bit pleased nevertheless :)
And I've been known to occasionally been called the Walking Dictionary...

So you kids out there who think reading is stupid: It's NOT (And I cannot repeat myself too much. It's Not. Not. Not.). Reading can teach you a lot of things, not only languages. And it really pays to do some out of school reading.


* We who read already know this of course.

No comments: